Friday, April 5, 2013

House Renovation Hiccups Part 1

I have been meaning to write another blog post for weeks, but it has been really busy here at Happy Bear Farm. 

After closing on the house, we had Peter at Haus of Hard Wood come in and put in hard wood floors upstairs and on the stairs and refinish the hard wood down stairs.  They did a great job and it looks great!
The stairs in progress

I realized that I don't have any photos of the floor, but this one of my friend's son shows how good they look!
After Peter finished, we moved into the house.  We didn't have our furniture yet so we stayed in a blow up bed.  We had to take the hot water heater out of the house so that Morgan (who did our linoleum and tile) could put in new flooring in our laundry room.  For some reason (we found out later it was because the septic was full) when you would run even cold water anywhere in the house, water would come pouring out of the hot water heater hoses (even though the water was turned off to the heater).  This meant that although we HAD cold water, we couldn't run it in the faucets unless someone monitored a bucket under pipes.  This was our first big hiccup.  Luckily we had the creek and we "Little House on the Prairie"ed  it and brought buckets of water up to the house.  We also ate out for most of our meals.  Morgan made getting our laundry room floor a priority and after 3 days we got our hot water heater into the house.  Luckily we had the hot tub!!

Yay for new floors and hot water heaters!
The flooring is called Marmoleum and that color is called Orange Cocktail.  We had originally wanted a different color but it was on back order.  We had a few more hiccups with the water heater.  Jason planned on plumbing the water heater himself and there were a few issues with pipe size and fit.  He learned that in plumbing, getting something on as tightly as possible is often a mistake.  Finger tight is good enough.  Living far away from a decent hardware store didn't help matters.  It took us a few more days to get the plumbing right.  We had now been without running water for about 5 days. 
Jason got the plumbing to work!

We were so excited to get hot water!  We turned on the water and turned on the hot water heater.  We waited about 15 minutes and although we had running water, we didn't have any hot water.  We waited another 30 minutes. We still didn't have hot water.  Finally we opened the electrical box and turned the thermostat all the way up.  We still didn't have hot water.  By this time we were really frustrated.  In the morning we called a heating and cooling company (their number was on the hot water heater) and when they came out, they told us that when you have an empty water heater, you need to fill it completely before turning it on or you will blow out the electrical components.  Now we know!  It felt great to have a hot shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment