|Brewing in a bag!|
We got about 15 pounds of grain from the brewery and first we had to let it steep in hot water for about an hour to get all of the sugars out. The brewery recommended using a measuring cup to pour water over the grains for the last 15 minutes so that the interior grains could get purged. We knew that it would be super heavy to hold for 15 minutes, so Jason in his ingenuity strung up a pulley to hold the grains above the pot. It was crazy how sticky that grain tea was!!
|Pouring hot water on the grains|
|Pouring water on beer is tough work, so I had to quench my thirst with some of the American Amber ale from a month ago. It turned out nice. Jason thinks it will be even better after a few weeks in the bottle.|
The next step was adding some hops and then boiling the beer tea for an hour. We were making a concentrated batch so that we could use cold water to help chill it more quickly so that we could get it into the carboy. We had a couple of issues with the beer. First of all the sugar reading of the beer wasn't as high as we had wanted (probably because we didn't get all of the sugar out the grains while we were steeping it) so we didn't add as much water when it was done boiling. So instead of 6 gallons, we got a little less than 5 gallons.
|Jason is good at taking notes to remember all of the details of the process|
|The beer patiently waiting to be bottled and consumed|