Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What happens when you go out of town for a week

Last week Jason and I went to the wedding of a good friend in Groveland, CA and then went backpacking for a 3 nights in Hetch Hetchy. It was super fun and exactly what I needed to de-stress from the most difficult teaching year I have had in my career. We saw a bear, he was about 50 yards away and didn't seem to notice us (we were down-wind) and he circled around us. We also saw a deer in the middle of a lake in Till Till Valley. Jason and I learned better how to deal with each other when frustrations run high (we spent 4 hours trying to find the trail one day and probably hiked an extra 4 miles and went up and down 400 hundred feet at least 8 times). We had good bonding time and talked about what we want our wedding to be like. It was a great trip.


On the way home we stopped at the Clovis Farmer's Market and got boysenberries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, green beans and pickling cucumbers so that we could start canning and freezing. We got home around midnight on Friday and first thing on Saturday we went to the community garden plot. I was nervous that all the plants would be droopy and sad, I had deeply watered the week before we left, but they had 10 days with no one watering them. Instead I found that everything seemed to have almost doubled in size! I picked every little zucchini the day before we left, yet we still had zuchinnis the size of my thigh in the garden. There are little peppers on most of the pepper plants and green tomatoes on most of the tomato plants. The sunflowers are at least 10 feet tall and just about to bloom. It's amazing to see what happens when you go away for a week. Maybe I just don't notice when I go every other day.


What do you have growing in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment